Supplier vetting and the process for the purchase of assets, goods and services are carried out in accordance with the principles of the Code of Ethics and internal quality procedures, as well as current health, safety and environmental regulations. In the management of relationships with suppliers and subcontractors, as for all business and financial dealings of any kind, Hitachi Rail STS requires its counterparties to conduct themselves in accordance with the principles of loyalty, fairness, transparency, efficiency and legal compliance.
To this end, suppliers and subcontractors are vetted on the basis of objective, transparent and documentable evaluation criteria, in accordance with the principles of the Code of Ethics and all procedures provided for by specific protocols, in writing and in line with the current hierarchical structure.
Supplier qualification is coordinated by the Supplier Qualification and Monitoring Board which operates within the Quality Assurance department. Furthermore, Hitachi Rail STS has specified that the qualification process is interdisciplinary and based on the opinions of several units involved therein. This includes the technical, procurement, quality and HSE departments.
Hitachi Rail STS has revised its supplier questionnaire, introducing specific questions about the environment and safety, directly involving the HSE unit in supplier qualification and defining a list of “sensitive” goods, where the latter unit’s involvement is mandatory.
The questionnaire update covered the following HSE aspects:
- introduction of a safety management system compliant with the BS OHSAS 18001 standard;
- introduction of an environmental management system compliant with the UNI EN ISO 14001:2007 standard;
- introduction of sustainability procedures/programmes;
- application of the legislative requirements to comply with the REACH/ROHS/RAEE regulations;
- collection of data about accidents, non-compliance, training and emergencies.
The questionnaire is sent to all new suppliers during the qualification phase.