Hitachi Rail STS has implemented an Integrated Management System (IMS) for the environment, safety and quality, establishing global corporate policies and procedures to ensure the controlled management of processes and activities relating to safety in the workplace and environmental protection. Subsequently each company established local environmental and safety policies, on the basis of legislative requirements and corporate policies and procedures.
The main advantages arising from it are:
- Uniform management: the creation of a single corporate management system ensures the same methods are used for organizing all Environment and Health and Safety activities.
- Optimization of resources: the uniform management of the Environment, Health and Safety areas makes exploitation of potential synergies in the Organization possible (audit and training).
- Standardization of improvement objectives: integration allows univocal decision-taking criteria to be identified for selecting company objectives and for defining programs to implement them.
- Involvement of personnel at all levels: rationalization in using human resources and in assigning responsibilities makes involving personnel and raising their awareness easier.
- Single document and data management system: even at the documents and forms level integration prevents duplication of records common to the various areas, and sharing information simplifies internal communication.
- Identification of new strategic approaches: analyzing processes not only from the quality viewpoint, but also from that of environmental impact and reduction of risks for workers, allows us to single out new requirements, design alternatives and opportunities to save.
Enhanced usability of documents has been achieved by implementing the new company Intranet, which allows all employees to more easily consult the corporate and local IMS documentation.